[OZAPRS] Setting up TT4 Tx on 2m

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Feb 19 19:51:25 EST 2010

David,

This is what I would do with just a CRO as available test equipment.

1. Monitor your rx with the CRO
2. If you have a handheld or other 2m rig and, with it on the correct
frequency, produce some loud Shhshhing noise into the microphone.
Generally higher frequency audio produces the maximum deviation, hence
the shhishing. Most commercial amateur rigs will produce close enough to
4.5/5khz deviation, the standard level in the amateur service in Oz.
3. Establish a reference point on the CRO from the shhishing.
4. Connect your TNC and if you can switch between tones, feed the 2200Hz
tone into the tx at a reasonably high level, and adjust the deviation
control for a tad under the reference level you established on the CRO.
5. Don't touch the deviation control after this is set.
6. Reduce the output of the TNC to its minimum value and enable both TNC
tones
7. Increase the audio input to the tx until you again see the reference
level on the CRO and then back it off just a tad.

Provided the tx has "standard" preemphasis characteristics you should be
pretty close to ball park settings and, the decoded tones as seen on the
CRO should appear at approximately the same level, if you're looking at
deemphasised audio (say the top of the volume control) If you're looking
at pre-deemphasis audio the high tome should be approximately twice the
level of the low tone but this is not important here. What's important
is that you set the maximum level to just a tad below your CRO reference
level.

I usually set packet rigs for 4.0khz deviation on the high tone. Since
you have no way of measuring deviation with just a CRO, the reference
point minus a tad method should be reasonably satisfactory.

Don't confuse deviation with tx power, there is no relationship. A given
tx will produce the same deviation regardless of whether it's power
output is 1mW or 1KW. Only the range of that tx will change, not its
"loudness".

Ray vk2tv