[OZAPRS] DM2550/FoxDelt Digi

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Tue Feb 2 16:44:41 EST 2010

Rob

FoxDelta Digi arrived earlier this week. I had already prepared a cable so
it was just a matter of hooking it up, configuring via Hyperterm and away it
went.

Runs fine although I have noticed a couple of strange things, e.g. the D7A
does not read the Digi beacon but the VX-8R does; the VX-8R beacon was
processed intermittently by the digi but that was solved by removing the
6metre extension from the VX-8R antenna. Had some hassles with the terminal
program but that was a Com port issue on the PC - eventually used a USB to
Com adapter and it works reliably now.

I set the power supply to the DM2550 at 10.8V and also fed this via the
interconnecting cable to the Digi which works OK at that voltage. I have
built the NZ 12-24V to 10.8V regulator and will put this in line from the
power supply to the DM2550. At that point I will probably feed 12V to the
Digi to see if it has any effect on performance. The digi has a calibrate
mode where you can continuously transmit mark and space which I did out of
curiosity but do not have the gear to check them. For what it is worth the
tones as received on the D7 sounded clean.

The down side is that the DM2550 seems to be deaf. I can receive an S5-7
signal from Cairns on my Kenwood TM-D700 but do not receive that station at
all on the DM2550 using the same antenna and cable. However I received a
beacon (twice) from a D710 mobile in Cairns today so not sure what is
happening.

The bottom line is that on experience to date I can thoroughly recommend the
FoxDelta digi as a fill-in digi.

If anyone has any ideas on the reception issue I would appreciate comments.

Howard
VK4BS

Message: 1