[OZAPRS] OT Re: smart meters ?

Andrew Gilbett andrew.gilbett at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:30:07 EST 2010

>> Isn't it odd that one of the major criticisms of solar power is that it
>> only works during the day, considering that that's when most of the
>> demand is?

That is was what I though initially, but...
If you do some research into solar power you will find that the peak
solar hours are between 10am and 2pm. Notice that this is different to
the peak demand hours of between 2pm and 8pm. Though it does cover
some industrial load periods, most of the afternoon load is AC (in
summer). If you search the Energy Australia website you can find some
interesting reports.

> Crazy, isn't it, especially when solar-derived power *can* be used at
> night.  Households can use solar heaters (OK, it's not true PV), and
> industries can heat a huge tank of liquid salts, using it to boil water at
> night.

> <rant>
> Call me a greenie (which I'm not), but *anything* is better than coal
> power (especially that brown coal crap), with, of course, the exception of
> nuclear power.
> </rant>

hmmm... what about gyms with the exercise bikes connected to the grid
as little generators. Put that wasted energy to work!! :p

I shall refrain from opening that can of worms...

Andrew
VK2XAG