[OZAPRS] smart meters ?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Dec 12 12:47:52 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 09:09:11AM +1100, Shaun wrote:
> I am going to put a meter on my PC to see how much power the thing actually
> uses.  Even though it has a 300 watt PS. I don't think it is actually using
> that much.  Comparing it to my home brew box, which has a 60 watt globe to
> heat the beer, I had assumed about 100 watts for the PC given how hot it
> gets.

I've got one of those cheap inline power meters you can buy from Jaycar
etc. I'm reliably informed that the readings are really inaccurate.

My PC has a 450W power supply and I expect it's using less than 200W at
most. Remember that the CPU has lots of power saving features which
means that although it may be rated for 70-100W, it's only using that
under full load. Disks use a few watts each though.

Hamish