[OZAPRS] smart meters ?

Shaun shaunbaby at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 12 09:09:11 EST 2010

Hi Andrew,

We started on power consumption for the computers used to run APRS, especially
iGates, and the associated costs.

To the group:

I am going to put a meter on my PC to see how much power the thing actually
uses.  Even though it has a 300 watt PS. I don't think it is actually using
that much.  Comparing it to my home brew box, which has a 60 watt globe to
heat the beer, I had assumed about 100 watts for the PC given how hot it
gets.

So 0.100kw x 24h x 365d x $0.22 = $193.

Some notebooks are running sub 10 watts, so $19.70 per year in running costs.

So in short, using a netbook, external monitor and keyboard, which I already
have, payback is less than 2 years or a bit over 2 years if you get the
bottom  end Dell 10.1 inch at $399.

Shaun