[OZAPRS] OT Re: smart meters ?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Dec 12 06:25:38 EST 2010

When I worked in System Operations for a small County Council north of
Sydney back in the mid 70's, there was sufficient waiting load from
off-peak HWS heaters in the area served by the Woy Woy zone sub-station
to trip the entire zone-substation through over-current. Mind you, it
was only a 10MVA sub-station back then. Peak load on that sub-station
was the off-peak load that came on about 9.30pm.

If we lost the sub-station at a critical time of night through,
typically, a Pelican flying into the 33kv feeder to the sub-station, the
only way to get the sub-station back on line was to restore one 11kv
feeder at a time and run the Zellweger system to dump the off-peak load
on that feeder and then proceed through enough feeders to be able to
eventually restore load in a staged manner.

Ray vk2tv