[OZAPRS] Igate to RF

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Mon Aug 30 05:48:00 EST 2010

  This puzzles me as it suggest that APRS only has value if the VHF
frequency is swamped with packets that are of no use or interest locally.

This flies in the face of the guidelines as stated on www.aprs.net.au:

" The I-Gates feed packets heard off-the-air in their vicinity into the
IS, and under some conditions allow Internet data to go back to RF."

"APRS was developed to convey LOCAL real-time information. As such, we
are aiming to minimise the amount of NON-LOCAL data that is transmitted
on the VHF network. Although it may be nice to see the location of every
repeater in the country, getting the data to your display via RF
prevents several mobile stations in the local area from accessing the
network due to the high collision rate.

For these reasons, the 2m network is generally configured to maximise
the availability for mobile/portable stations. The amount of data
transmitted from the internet to the VHF network is minimal, so as to
allow the maximum amount of airtime for mobile trackers to send thier
data into the network.

In some areas a 70cm APRS network has been established that carries
additional traffic, making it available via RF, yet keeping the
congestion away from the primary 2m frequency to allow the mobile and
portable stations to use APRS as it was intended."

Howard
VK4BS