[OZAPRS] Re OPENTRACKER

Mike Zwingl oe3mzc oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Tue Aug 24 16:47:41 EST 2010

Gday,
I also used an OPENTRACKER OT1plus in my 4WD in VK6
on 30m HF on 300Baud.
I have installed a switch to switch between 300baud and 1200baud (HF/VHF)
Both modes work great and on top the OT1plus can transmit telemetry data ( so I used that feature to transmit temperature of engine and barometric altitude, etc...)

However for sucessful tracking on 300baud AFSK a good network of receiving GATEways in mandatory. Unfortunately most IGATES on HF only use old TNCs,
which have very narrow bandpass. So your mobile has to meet very acurate frequency setting (30Hz), which is unrealistic even with modern trx in outback temp range.
As far as I know, only the Igates in VK6 and VK8 have new DSP-technology in use, with 800Hz (!!) capturing :

300 baud AFSK (old HF-Packet standard) with new developed multi-detector: The DSP automatically processes a frequency range of +- 400 Hz looking for 300 bd transmissions and receives all detected signals in PARALLEL. No exact tuning by the user is necessary any more, but always perfect reception! Very important feature for automatically operating HF APRS gateways.

So in recent years I prefer to use a SCS DSP-TNC for my HF-APRS mobile activities. Here is why:
it has a full stand alone DSP-TNC/ Tracker for 9600/1200/300baud and Robust Packet mode,

it can display received positions of other mobile stations on GPS-screen,
(helpful to see other 4WDs driving in the outback)

it can be used as a Cross-Mode--CrossBand Digipeater.
( nice to use ur VHF handheld VX-8 or THD7 on hiking, while using ur parking 4WD as digipeater to transvert ur sigs from vhf to hf 30m.
just setup ur FT100,FT857 or IC706,IC7000 for SPLIT operation 145rx/10tx)

see http://www.scs-ptc.com/shop/products/modems/tracker-dsp-tnc?set_language=en

hope this is of some help to you
vy 73 de Mike
OE3MZC/VK3FPF/6