[OZAPRS] Please check you Paths for HF and VHF please people

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 20 22:51:20 EST 2010

Its in our interests to perhaps check our paths. I suspect some of us either have no idea of the settings we are running and what they really mean or have made some sort of mistake while configuring things like Trackers D700s and even Uiview.
And before you switch off and delete/ignore this then give it a read. It could be talking about you or someone you know.

I am not going to use callsigns or names and perhaps it will be good for us all to have a revisit on what we think we have set correctly. Ive been observing some of these Paths for some time and they remain unchanged issues.

Some of these paths and settings are Sad and with changes would actually improve tracking for some stations and some of these are actually quite destructive and detrimental paths.

So if you think you may know who these users are then have a chat with them. Its also a good excercise to see how many of us are really on this forum and reading it.

Examples observed today

Adelaide VHF 2m

1: A mobile station about 30-40 km North of the city running WIDE2-2 as a path. This is a long term observation.
 Your far better off with WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 to make use of some really local Fillin Digis instead of relying on WIDE digis at a range of 30-40km. You can get a far better result out of your APRS experience.

2: A Home station running a D700 by the looks. West of the city running a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. This is firing up an extra 4-5 Fillin digis every time you beacon. Your allready hitting 3 or possibly 4 Wide digis from there.
Try either WIDE2-2 or better still the Local Zone path of ADEL2-2

Ive tried hard to make information available and obvious but for some operators it still seems to be hard to find for some reasons. There are Bulletins that goto air in Adelaide with regularity that give you a URL to find more information and also Path settings suggested on another Bulletin. You just have to be prepared to read and digest stuff.
Heres the URL to start off with
http://vk5.aprs.net.au
For specific path settings in Adelaide Eyre Peninsula and the SA Riverland
http://vk5.aprs.net.au/stationSetup.html

There are also bulletins on Rf with info on Eyre peninsula, The Mid/central north and the Riverland in these Zones

Heres some more beauties on HF today.

1: A VK2 mobile on 30m running a path of GATE,WIDE1-1 .. This one has the potential to fire up all the Fillin digis on VHF in range of the HF Igates (in various states and teritories) if they are set to pass the posits to VHF . Its the same effect as running the old  WIDE2-2,RELAY on VHF. We didnt seem to have much problem understanding the problem of the backwards path with Relay on VHF back then but this is just as bad. The operator of this HF station is likely trying to achieve a single Hop out on VHF at a guess. This isnt the way to do it. What you need is GATE,WIDE2-1  which is quite different.

2: A VK7 home station (Uiview) gateway on 30m running a path of WIDE . Not sure what this is all about but just seems odd on HF . Theres no real harm in it anyway. It is actually possible to run separate paths on different ports on Uiview so it doesnt have to run a VHF centric path.

3: Various objects and bulletins and VHF digipeaters  as well as Igate status frames eminating from VK7 at different times on 30m . This just clutters up 30m and compromises Mobile tracking. I dont understand it myself.

For info on HF including path settings try http://www.aprs.net.au/hf/aprs-hf

For generic/national paths and info goto http://www.aprs.net.au/  and start reading/learning .

Tony  Hunt VK5AH