[OZAPRS] Seeking advise on Portable Fill-In Digi setup

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Aug 18 16:19:27 EST 2010

On 18/08/2010, at 4:05 PM, JandG wrote:
> We have been travelling Australia for the past 2.5 years and hope to be doing so for the next few years.
>
> We have been many times in places where there is no APRS coverage at all.
>
> I have one D710 in my car (VK2JNG-9) and one D710 in my caravan(VK2JNG-1) linked up to my laptop running APRSIS32. and I-gating my mobile packets to the internet.
>
> All that is working fine. Just wanted to know what my "PATH" settings should be at the I-Gate.
> It came as Wide1-1,Wide2-1.
>
> Would the setting Wide1-1 be ok to keep as we are slowly heading East and not wanting to cause unnecessary QRM.
>
> Or can I keep the setting as is being: Wide1-1,Wide2-1

What's it actually doing?  Is it in APRS mode, or TNC mode?  I'm assuming TNC mode - in which case the APRS settings in the D710 shouldn't make any difference, as it's the igate software which determines the transmit path..  That said, the path in the igate software depends on what you're actually doing - are you gating from the internet to RF? if so, you'd probably want to set it to no path at all, so it doesn't make it into the local systems as you drive through, but you still see traffic on your 710 in the car.. - or more preferrably, move to another frequency entirely ;)  Or if you're not transmitting packets from internet->RF, then it doesn't really matter at all :)

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust