[OZAPRS] rf earth

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Apr 27 17:28:44 EST 2010

Paul, et al,

Buried conductor, preferably copper strap with a large surface area, in
a shallow trench is a very effective earthing medium.

I think surface area is a more appropriate term than skin effect, which
refers to (RF) current flowing only in the outer "skin" of a conductor.
Would you agree, Paul?

I worked for a county council for over twenty years and quite a bit of
that time was in the "testing laboratory". Whenever we wanted to test
zone substation (132kv, 66kv or 33kv in and 11kv out) earthing systems
we had Telstra/Telecom/PMG (yes, I'm that old) provide a remote earth as
our reference. That's hardly a practical method for AR operators, however.

To test a buried radial earth mat (44 radial wires connected to a
central hub) at my previous location I used the electricity supply MEN*
point earth as the reference. To that point I connected one side of an
isolating 110v transformer. The other side connected to my earth mat. I
measured the current flow and the (110v) supply voltage to calculate the
impedance of my earth map.

I absolutely concur with Paul's safety reminder. I'm a licenced
electrician, licenced electrical contractor, worked in the zaps section
of a county council for much of twenty years and (at the time) had 30+
years in the electrical trade. If you don't know what an MEN* earthing
system is you are not qualified to be using the mains earth as a
reference point.

*MEN - Multiple Earthed Neutral system of earthing where the neutral at
the supply transformer, and at every switchboard, is earthed (to a
stakes, or stakes, and the metallic water pipe system). The effect is to
provide a low impedance earthing system. In suburbia, with lots of
houses (and MEN points), it usually works very well. In rural areas,
such as where I live, where there are only four houses fed off the
transformer, and the ground is not particularly conductive, it's not so
effective although it is still the safest system in the world. Even
within an installation you can find multiple MEN points. E.g., my
remote garage is supplied by a sub-main from the main switchboard on the
house. The switchboard in the garage has another MEN point where the
neutral connects (effectively) to an earth stake.

As Paul said, connections can be broken. When doing voltage
investigations (responding to customer complaints about supply quality)
I went to one house with low voltage issues. As I pulled up I noticed
the Neutral at the point of connection to the house was firmly connected
to the surrounding air and the house was relying on the MEN earth. The
customer, one very lucky family, admitted to getting "tingles" when in
the bath. They were lucky to not be killed. It's interesting that they
were concerned about the TV picture shrinking (common problem with valve
TVs and low mains voltage) but not the tingles in the bath.

I'm not sure that I agree with Paul's suggestion to keep the RF and
mains earth separate. A bond between the mains earth stake (NOT THE MEN
POINT IN THE SWITCHBOARD) is something I would recommend. That
arrangement is providing just an equi-potential bond, without
interfering with the mains installation. I'm a strong believer in
bonding everything together to minimise voltage differences, especially
for lightning protection. It's interesting to note that even
Tesltra/Telecom/PMG used to require a separate earth (using violet
coloured wire) for telephone system earthing at (larger) customers'
premises. Even they now subscribe to the "bond everything" philosophy.

An interesting topic of conversation.

Ray vk2tv