[OZAPRS] TM-D700A won't turn on

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Wed Apr 7 07:53:02 EST 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:18:32AM +1000, Geoff wrote:
> Maybe it's just a matter of time, but I'm not sure how you can
> accidently short the pins of an RJ11 connector :)

I've no idea about this particular radio ... but ...

I imagine that the design fault is that certain combinations of contact
closure ordering results in excessive current flow.  (Had the same thing
happen in an engineering team years ago).

Those RJ11 contacts don't make or break at the same time, it depends on
the load on the cable when the connector was crimped, and the
manufacturing variance of the connector conductors, and wear and tear,
phase of moon, etc.

Therefore the problem might not affect some people, until they change
which side of the desk their radio is on ... or begin to think more
carefully about it and change their behaviour without knowing it ;-)

RJ11 socket pins can occasionally make adjacent contact if they have a
bend in them.  So normally the power supply pins are allocated some
distance apart.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/