[OZAPRS] aprs.fi - fails to complete the task

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 23 21:10:34 EST 2009

I have a problem with aprs.fi.    This site seems to work OK with
Firefox in my desktop Window$ XP machines and provides a very helpful
amount of data besides the more basic and expected aprs functions.

However on my now somewhat elderly HP NX500 laptop also running Windoze
XP with SP's up to date, it is a bit of a fizzer.   The site loads the
page with the google map for the location of the station I want to track
(usually mine), but never gets around to actually painting the location
of the aprs station or the track.  The requested URL is (for example)
http://aprs.fi/?call=vk5atn-12&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600
<http://aprs.fi/?call=vk5atn-12&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600>  I've tried
this with current versions of Firefox, Netscape and IE, all the same as
on my desktop machines, but always with same disappointing result.

However on the same machine with the Ubuntu partition loaded and Firefox
running, the same URL brings up all of the detail I've come to expect
from my desktop machines.   I'm not aware of any limitations in other
Windows operations with this computer, just this specific URL.

Any hints? Ideas?   (Yeah, yeah I know  - scrap Mickeysoft and use
Ubuntu all the time! Unfortunately that's not an option until Linux
versions of a couple of other Windows specific applications appear - and
I'm assured that won't happen).

Thanks in advance,
73
Terry