[OZAPRS] Xastir / Linux (user?) problem

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Sep 7 18:59:05 EST 2009

Mark,

In a word Yep..  Been there done that.. Your better off joining the xastir
mail list where you will find a lot of very active and helpful people.

Go have a look at this email group and do a search in the archive for "cigar
shaped" or "cigar problem"

My findings were that it was all to do with Gnome and restricted drivers. I
have a Nvidia video card which is likely the culprit with the restricted
drivers.

Below is a copy/paste from the many posts made on the subject.

So the problem relates to restricted video drivers under Gnome only. To me
this is a minor hassle because Gnome is just not my favorite desktop. Is it
the restricted drivers or is it Gnome or is it Xastir that is at fault here
? It is certainly curious that xastir can get most of the other Menus to
work correctly. Whats so special and different about the interfaces menu for
example ? Is this problem unique to Ubuntu ?

Some work arounds involve configuring Xastir with the restricted drivers
disabled (which requires a reboot every time) or just editing the
xastir.conf file manually. Perhaps if you dont want to install KDE and
configure it there then think about installing the Xfce desktop which is
relatively light weight even compared to Gnome and configure Xastir from
there.
Tony Hunt VK5AH----- Original Message -----