[OZAPRS] XASTIR - maps

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Nov 24 11:14:17 EST 2009

Hamish,

It all depends on what you want to do.

According to a recent posting to Linux-hams, Steve Frazer's version of
ax25ipd, from about 2004/5, that handles dynamic ip addresses, still
isn't in the package. That may not be important if you don't run
axudp/axip links, but if you do it's an important fix.The email was from
a respected contributor so I presume the information is correct.

Bernard F6BVP has produced numerous patches for kernel ax25 sources.
Those patches fix problems we experienced in bbs/fpacnode service but
they're mostly not available in official sources.

The packaged (deb) version of xastir won't display raster maps, just a
black tile, in Ubuntu 9.04, presumably because of a graphics problem
that may be related to colour depth in another package. I tried swapping
out to im or gm but as expected this broke the package and didn't solve
the problem.

For me, compiling everything seems to avoid most issues, and it's not
difficult. I've just compiled libax25, ax25-apps, ax25-tools and xastir
on Kubuntu 9.10. It took about an hour by the time I compiled a couple
of packages that xastir requires (the package versions are not
satisfactory, according to the xastir SIG and wiki) and xastir just
worked first time.

The lack of feedback probably stems from the RTFM brigade who, it seems,
have zero tolerance for people who are having difficulties coming to
grips with the complexities of Linux. How would we mere mortals know if
an issue is due to a package problem, or if it's something of our own
making? Why report something that may be the latter, only to be flamed,
and to whom do you report it?

Ray vk2tv