[OZAPRS] XASTIR - maps

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Nov 17 16:11:17 EST 2009

Andrew Gilbett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using XASTIR from the ubuntu repositories and I would like to get
> the NSW maps going.
> I have downloaded the maps from the APRS.net.au site (thanks for
> posting those maps!) and put them in a new directory inside
> /usr/share/xastir/maps .
> Then I re indexed the maps and selected the correct folder from map
> chooser. Here is where it all goes a bit off the rails because instead
> of the map image a black square is displayed in the correct place that
> I would expect the map to be.
> This means that the new maps and georeference files have been found
> and the image also found but not interpreted correctly.
> Is there something else that I should do. I am also assuming that apt
> has correctly installed the necessary dependencies.
> I am running ubuntu 9.04 64bit.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. If you need further info please just ask.
>

> Thanks :-)
> Andrew Gilbett
> andrew.gilbett at gmail.com
> VK2XAG

Andrew, all,

I had a look at this problem for someone (Geoff???) else on this list
just a few weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to get back to it. I've
moved to Linux from Windoze and haven't imported my old mail yet.

What I've extracted from the xastir mailing list is a problem with
Graphicsmagick that can be cured by removing GM and installing
Imagemagick. It's to do with colour depth. Changing the default depth in
the GM source, or changing to IM solves the problem. This works fine for
a compiled version of xastir but not for a package version. The packaged
version of xastir installs libgraphicsmagick3 and removing this to
install GM or IM breaks the package, as one would expect. I installed
xastir on Kubuntu 9.04 (32 bit)and could replicate the black tile
problem but do not have a solution. I always compile xastir (and most
things) from source and haven't struck the problem up as far as 8.04.
I've just installed Kubuntu 9.10 on my office machine and will get
around to compiling xastir in due course. Getting office applications
working first is my highest priority and I'm almost there.

Geoff originally posted to the xastir list and I followed up but there's
not been a reply. I suspect the problem is that most, if not all
subscribers to the list compile from sources.

Ray vk2tv