[OZAPRS] Sydney NW repeater

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Sun Nov 15 11:17:52 EST 2009

Geoff wrote:
> After checking with the ARNSW guys, the digipeater that was previously set
> up at Dural turned out to be a 'rougue', operating the station call from
> home without approval, and has been shut down.

No doubt a zealous experimenter.

> However, I have contacted Mark VK2XOF about the possibility of getting a
> properly configured FILL-IN digipeater into Dural, at least for a short-term
> test to see how it goes.  Mark did seem to still be open to the idea of
> assisting us with APRS coverage if it is approached in the correct way :)

Sounds positive! Anything more than a fill-in digi would not be
compatible with the existing packet services that are provided at Dural.
This includes a packet system on 145.100 MHz which was moved from
144.850 due to local QRM. If the APRS test proves successful, relocating
the packet service towards the 144.700 edge of the packet segment may
need to be considered to improve the mutual isolation of the systems.
During the test itself, I doubt that it will be an issue because of the
low utilisation of the transmitters involved.

> Will let you know what eventuates....
>
> Regards,
> Geoff VK2XJG

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO