[OZAPRS] Newb HF questions ;)

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed May 20 10:39:13 EST 2009

Hi Terry and all,

Consider that the impedance of a quarter wave ground plane (with
horizontal radials) is about 35 ohms. Mobile radio manufacturer Pye used
to use 35 ohm coax in mobile VHF installations many, many years ago,
back in the days of their all valve Reporter series AM mobiles.

If one "droops" the radials downwards the antenna starts to more and
more resemble a centre-fed dipole, and the impedance rises accordingly.
About 45° increases Zo to about 50 ohms. Another (less convenient)
"trick" is to increase the antenna length, and a value of 5/16
wavelength returns a value of 50 ohms (give or take, considering length
to diameter ratio - fatter antennas have lower Zo). However, a 5/16
wavelength vertical also shows inductive reactance which needs to be
cancelled out and this is easily done with series C. The 8.5m antenna
when used on 30m is somewhere between a 1/4 wavelength and 5/16
wavelength, hence my "guess" at a Zo of about 40 ohms.

Let me throw more confusion at you :-) Re the 4:1 balun, is it stepping
up, or is it stepping down? A quarter of 50 is 12.5 ohms which would
provide a "better match" for a typical (very) short HF whip. The balun,
of course, doesn't provide any inductive reactance to bring the antenna
to resonance. One antenna manufacturer some years ago made a 2:1
transformer that went into the base of their HF whips to provide a
better match to the coax. I "think" it was scalar, in the 1970's - yep,
it's in their 1985 catalog.

Ray vk2tv