[OZAPRS] Newb HF questions ;)

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Tue May 19 22:38:14 EST 2009

Hey Norm

I'm a little confused by the balun too ;)

50 ohms u/b from the rig to the atu
atu is u/b (50 ohm?) to the PL259 on the bottom of the balun.
balun balanced side has one terminal to the bottom of the TEV-1, and
one side to the 'radials' terminal on the mounting plate for the
TEV-1, which is bolted directly to the mast.  I can see why you'd have
the 4:1 balun if you were feeding a dipole, but as ray said earlier,
on 30m, the TEV-1 is pretty damned close to 50 ohms, so I would have
thought putting the balun in there would completely screw the vswr??
(it'd be giving me ~11 ohm on 30m yeah?)

Pic of balun installed before I installed the radials (they come off
the lower U-bolt) - http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v646/250/124/506862762/n506862762_1735428_1347613.jpg

Cheers,

Damien