[OZAPRS] Newb HF questions ;)

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun May 24 17:50:00 EST 2009

This is probably close enough to on-topic. Certainly as close as
knitting needles :-)

The most interesting antenna I ever played with is a  DDRR. A  WHAT, you
say? The DDRR (Directional Discontinuity Ring Radiator) was brought to
our attention in 1963 in the US magazine, Electronics. An article in QST
in 1972 provided a mathematical analysis. It is essentially a grounded
quarter wave vertical that, at a particular distance above the earth
plane, is bent at right angles so that the bent section is parallel to
the earth plane. That bent-over section is then formed into a circle and
the far end of it is attached to a tuning capacitor. The feedline is
tapped up from the earthed end. The original QST article had dimensions
for antennas from 160m to 2m. I again came across the antenna in the
1983 ARRL Antenna Handbook.

The DDRR was touted as an efficient and effective small antenna for the
HF bands. I worked with a guy who had a 27MHz version made from one inch
diameter soft aluminium rod mounted on the roof rack of his car, with a
bit of a ground plane. The antenna was about three feet in diameter, and
worked exceptionally well.

When an amateur friend was hospitalised (Multiple Sclerosis), I built a
2m version that attached to the curtain rail around his hospital bed.
The "ground plane" was an aluminium disc about 8 inches in diameter and
the radiating ring was about 6" diameter. The antenna, BTW, produces
vertical polarisation. The one I made for Jim enabled him to access the
local 2m repeater. Of course, this was in the early 1980's before people
worried about being killed by anything they don't understand. Both the
27MHz and 2m version exhibited very high Q that restricted their
operating bandwidth.

For anyone with a caravan who is looking for an effective 30m aprs
antenna, this might be the (ugly) way to end up with divorce.

Ray vk2tv