[OZAPRS] HF gateway antenna sugestions

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed May 13 18:30:12 EST 2009

Tony,

An interesting question which is perhaps best answered after
consultation with Grafex, the IPS prediction tool and taking into
consideration that the distances involved (within VK/ZL) are not that
great compared with working DX. Therefore the angle of radiation
required would be reasonably high. A Grafex prediction on the
Kempsey/Adelaide path (1200km) taken at 0800GMT shows that 40m is
optimum, but just an hour earlier, 30m would have been optimum. The
angles given for first hop are 15-19 degrees and for second hop 32-37
degrees. These are the sort of figures one would expect from a dipole in
both instances (assuming reasonable height - greater than a half
wavelength) and a vertical in the first instance (assuming an effective
ground plane).

I wouldn't be too fussed about polarisation differences with skywave
communication because the wave can go through both polarisations.
Polarisation shift can be responsible for some fading on HF.

In my opinion, the ideal 30m antenna would be two horizontal dipoles at
90° to each other and mounted at least a half-wavelength above ground,
and fed in quadrature (90° phase shift) to produce an omni-directional
pattern - think crossed dipoles as in beacon work. I think I would be
very unlikely to be attracted to a vertical.

There is another horizontal array whose name escapes me. It comprises
two half-wavelength, end-fed dipoles at right angles to each other.
Picture a full wave, centre fed dipole with each half of the dipole at
right angles to the other half. If I recall correctly, the now defunct
VNG used such an array to achieve omni-directional coverage.

Now we come to being practical. Ignore theory, and erect whatever your
circumstances permit. Chances are you'll still have an effective, albeit
maybe not optimum, antenna that will serve a useful purpose.

Ray vk2tv