[OZAPRS] HF gateway antenna sugestions

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed May 13 17:48:31 EST 2009

I was wondering what antennas everyone is using on 30m for the HF gates. So
some discussion would be good. Considering services like RFDS and Outpost
services are communicating with mobiles that usually use vertical whips one
would think that a vertical would be the go at home because thats the
approach they seem to take on their base setups with 5/8 vertical towers
very often..  No doubt there are some arguments against this also. Ive seen
in times past that the VKS737 network was using tower mounted helical
dipoles horizontaly polarised so theres an exception.

Currently I am using a Off centre fed wire (1.5wavelengths) on 30m an have
no intention of putting a vertical up. Ive seen this argument/discussion a
while back and still have no real idea of what the best answer is.

Michael 5MW is looking at putting a HF gate in a Roxby in the North of SA so
he has raised this point. I just decided to extend it to here for some
input.

Tony Hunt VK5AH