[OZAPRS] And to really stir things up

Peter Schrader vk4ea at rumpleteazer.net
Tue Mar 31 19:30:01 EST 2009

I have been avidly following the discussion on HF APRS, I must put a
couple taps on my HF APRS mobile whip to see how 40 and 20m compare to
30m.  While camping I also tend to try HF APRS using a laptop and
soundcard interface.

Sometime ago I proposed the use of two way messaging via HF APRS, with
an eye on efficient long distance message handling in Emcomm situations,
plus the fun aspects.  At the time it got pooh-poohed a bit.  In my
little mind I cannot see the issue with HF Igates allowing local
messages to be gated to RF.  UIView provides a facility to throttle the
number of beacons/messages transmitted to air, so if capacity issues are
realised these fields could be tweaked to ensure mobile positions are
received with minimal collisions.

I know IGates accept messages from the air, but without the two way
capability HF APRS will be solely restricted to tracking.

Note, I am not advocating HF gates transmitting objects from the
IS/VHF/UHF system, just messages directed to VKnxxx-15 stations.

I'd love to have a HamHUD like device on my dashboard for HF, having the
HamHUD in the car for VHF has been excellent.

Flame suit is on.

Peter
VK4EA