[OZAPRS] Some HF thoughts

Robert Thirkettle rob.thirkettle at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Mar 31 10:22:09 EST 2009

Hi All
	 The net station should set myalias to tune. Then you set your
beacon rate to every 10 seconds and path to tune adjust your TX until
you hear your packet being digied back once you have your self netted
then change the beacon rate and path back to the correct settings. What
I do is find the lowest and highest frequency that the net station
decodes then split the difference and you should be in the middle of the
pass band of the net station this also allows for a bit of TX drift.
Remember that with most TNC's you only have at max 50 Hz to ply with

Also many rigs the dial will not be correct even my TS430 does not TX
and RX on the same frequency. It's out by 12 hertz you need a really
good signal generator to check the RX even our good HP here at work is
not good enough if its not locked to the 10MHz external reference.
Remember 1ppm at 10MHz is 10Hz 20% of all you have to play with. Then
you also have drift to contend with my Kenwood also drifts about 10Hz as
well with temperature changes these are small but they do matter.

Ideally the net station should have a 0.5ppm TXCO that's why I am not
keen on being a net station as my gear is not really good enough.

Regards Rob Thirkettle  ZL3RX
Dept  Physics & Astronomy
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800,