[OZAPRS] Higher beacon rate HF versus VHF?

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Mar 30 20:01:27 EST 2009

Hi All,

Remember on HF you are sharing this band with all other APRS users world
wide and even though you can not hear them they may hear you. (You just have
to look at some of the posts on this list from HF APRS operators in other
countries for evidence of this). Also 300 baud is 1/4 the speed of VHF APRS
which means you can only fit 25% of the stations on the channel if you use
the same beacon rate.

Lets see, HF APRS increases the coverage area from roughly 200,000 Sq Km
using 3 hops to potentially 75 Million SQ KM. An increase in coverage area
of 375 times. At 300 baud you get a reduction in band capacity of 4 times.

Leaving your beacon rate the same as for VHF or increasing it some what
really doesn't make a hole lot of sense.

That's why the world wide recommended minimum APRS beacon rate for HF is 10
minutes or more.

Or another way to look at it; an average length APRS Posit packet takes 3 to
4 seconds to transmit on HF. Assuming a channel efficiency of 30% for ax25
this results in a maximum of 7 stations being able to transmit per minute.
At a transmission rate of one posit per 10 minutes the maximum number of
stations that can be in a single APRS Gate's coverage area is 70 stations.
This will be less as the Net stations transmit frequently and messages
and/or tuning may be under way on the channel. HF Propagation is also an
important factor.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK