[OZAPRS] Peoppel Corner and Hay River Propagation

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 29 14:54:11 EST 2009

Geoff and Ian

Below is the text of my blog entry today regarding HF propagation
from the desert.

"A discussion on APRS mail list got me thinking. I always do
predictions of propagation for my remote tours so that I am aware
what frequencies are usable at what locations. These plots below show
signal strength versus Freq (MHz) for Central Australia to my
location at Townsville where my APRS iGate is located.

For voice I have a range of frequencies available to me, not just in
the amateur bands but through VKS737 and RFDS etc, so that allows me
some more flexibility for voice than I have with APRS. Still it may
be useful for my friends in the amateur radio community who operate
remote APRS to see what propagation to my iGate is like from these
remote regions.
I will later post the same predictions for the same locations to
Adelaide and VK5AH-4 iGate.
Bear in mind these predictions are for current solar minimum
condiitions. MUF will get higher if we get better conditions.
Predictions are provided by DX Toolbox OSX."

So if you go here http://www.blognow.com.au/vk4mdx/131766/
Central_Australia_HF_Propagation_to_Townsville_For_My_APRS_Friends.html
you will see the predictions.

I am also presently loading IUview detailed maps of the area to my
web site at http://www.djolsen.com. Others not traveling to the
region, please don't download these unless you need them because they
are large files.

David VK4MDX