[OZAPRS] 30m worked so now Rx on 40m 7.036.50

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 28 13:47:49 EST 2009

Re-reading the software docs, perhaps I should have chosen AKM to
avoid this

Warning: The PK232 tones (2110/2310) land right on the upper edge of
the passband of the typical SSB filter and they very likely will
experience differential phase shift and unequal amplitude output;
i.e. severe distortion. In fact, the tones may not make it through
the passband of many HF transceivers with sharp cutoff SSB filters.
(For example, many "contest grade" SSB filters have a cutoff at 2100
or 2200 Hz.) On the other hand, the KAM 1600/1800 Hz tones land in
the flat part of the pass band of any SSB rig and will be unaffected
by the filter. Note on many HF rigs the passband tuning provided on
RECEIVE allows you to shift the pass band to a higher band of audio
frequencies, but it has no effect on the TRANSMIT side, so your
transmitted tones will still be affected by the filter and may be
distorted or may not even be transmitted.

David