[OZAPRS] HF to VHF Confused

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Fri Mar 27 21:33:18 EST 2009

Hi David,

> In the past there were a few HF gateway stations about that were'nt
> directly
> connected to the internet. I have in the past been in this category myself
> however It would be nice to know, who / if there are any HF gates still
> running that dont have a direct connect to the aprs-is ?    Hence the
> recommended use of GATE,WIDE2-1 for HF mobiles.

There are still a few HF Gates that are not connected to directly to a
computer and APRS-IS. One is VK3MY-4, which uses a KAM XL TNC to Gate HF
posits to VHF. The posits are digipeated by VK3RMD-1 and by the IGate
VK3SB-1.

> And .. we ( VK5 ) have also done a resaonable amount of testing on 40m for
> possible HF APRS use back a few years ago. Similar time frame to what
> Brian
> was alluding to in his email. At that time we didnt have much success
> either
> on 40m, alaways going back to 30m, with perhaps 20m as the second choice.

>From memory a 40mtr APRS network sprang up for a while with Gates in VK7,
VK2, VK4 and VK5. But I don't think 40mtr worked as well as people would
have liked. Mostly due to the higher noise floor. If you look back through
this lists history you may be able to get some hints on what happened
depending on who long the messages are archived for.

There is also some information on ZL HF APRS at
http://zlhams.wikidot.com/aprsinfrastructure:infrastructure#toc7

Here is one discussion that happened 3 years ago on this list in regards to
20mtr APRS.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK

hi,
may I suggest to cling to the international APRS- Frequency 14,103 LSB
(1600/1800Hz), which is also used by many ships around the world (INTERMAR)

vy 73 de Mike
VK3FPF
OE3MZC