[OZAPRS] HF Gateways

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Jun 29 12:19:10 EST 2009

I wouldn't write off 80m completely, even though its use would be limited.

Yes, the static crashes at night are a downer but if you're looking at
relatively short range - out to about 400km - and you can erect an
antenna, daytime 80m is remarkably good. Mind you, a local daytime
electrical storm has quite an impact too :-(

When I did a lot of travelling with HF onboard, if I could erect a
dipole, albeit close to the ground, we regularly (read as daily) worked
out to 400km. Signal levels were often low but there was usually little
band noise so s/n ratio was high. FM was performance was quite
impressive compared with SSB. We did some testing with narrow deviation.

VK2AAB and I came very close to resorting to 80m for daytime BBS
forwarding some months back when 40m (our usual band) completely died
for quite some weeks. We're nearly 400km apart. 40m came good and we
didn't have to try 80m.

Ray vk2tv