[OZAPRS] Any experiences with a Standard Vertex VX8R ?

RK vk3ant at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 28 20:34:46 EST 2009

Hi Tony.

I bought a VX-8 at a local Hamfest a few months back now, finally got the
bracket and GPS unit to fit straight in to the socket on top of the radio
and just last week I got the programming software and cable, I am not going
to purchase the handmic to fit the GPS in to as I find that as a package I
much prefer the GPS straight on the radio especially when I am walking the
dog etc.

Have to tell you, I was greatly excited when I saw the programming cable was
a USB device and NOT the standard Serial device where I had to use a Serial
to USB adapter. Yeasu have done a great job on this one.

Having said that, I am a train driver on the Melbourne Metro Network and
since I have had this current setup it appears ( to me ) that it doesn't
work quite as well as the previous setup I had ( Kenwood TH-D7 and a
Magellan Colour GPS ) The TH-D7 didn't appear to suffer quite as badly from
interferance as the VX-8 does and I very rarely get any packets out when I
am in the city centre ( Flinders Street Station ) and only just the odd one
or two when I am out in the suburbs. I have tried a different combination of
antennas but none seem to be any better than the other. I am unable to use
an external antenna as the trains are stainless steel and clearances are not
great between the train and adjacent infrastructure.

Now too, having said that bit, I don't live all that far from Hamish ( VK3SB
and his Gateway ) and there are quite a few times when I don't get any
packets in to the system when I am out walking the dog, seems it just can't
hear me and I am "somewhat" disappointed with my own particular radio, but
this might just be the radio itself. I had some pretty bad issues with the
TH-D7 too when I first bought it, had to return it for repairs less than a
week after I bought it ( it was terribly deaf ) and Kenwood ended up giving
me a brand new radio, repairs were too difficult.

I love the concept of the Yaesu and it's GPS, the display is difficult to
see at times as it is just a bit smaller than the TH-D7 but all the
functions are there and if I can just get it to "hear" a bit better without
being bombarded with pagers etc then that would be just ideal.

Not going to get rid of the Yaesu in a hurry, suites my needs very well
indeed.

Regards.

Ron.
VK3ANT