[OZAPRS] Visit to VK land with APRS

Darryl Smith Darryl at Radio-Active.Net.Au
Mon Jul 13 17:26:01 EST 2009

I suspect the answer is not to ask the authorities on this one.

I would work on the assumption that the idea behind the ZL2XXX/VK is to
signify that you are transmitting within the Australian regulatory zone. My
argument would be that by transmitting your exact coordinates that you are
exceeding the requirements. Of course this assumes that you do not transmit
without a GPS lock.

The issue is more problematic with Packet Radio...

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/ - www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/

-----Original Message-----
From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On
Behalf Of Phillip
Sent: Monday, 13 July 2009 5:00 PM
To: ozaprs at aprs.net.au
Subject: [OZAPRS] Visit to VK land with APRS

Hi all,
             I had a question asked of me today and I would like to know the
following

If APRS was to be used in VK land by a ZL visitor would the following be
legal Identification of that station / operator

Since there is no provision for the use of ZL2XXX / VK or  VK / ZL2XXX in
the Call string  would placing the operator ID in the beacon
string be an accepted means of the legal identification. eg ZL2XXX/VK  or
VK/ZL2XXX

73 Phillip
ZL2TZE