[OZAPRS] VK2RMC-1

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Jul 12 12:36:16 EST 2009

James Cameron VK2LQZ wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 12:00:50PM +1000, Ray Wells wrote:
>
>> The USCC>4 and the four-port serial card are both ISA :-(
>>

> I've no idea what a USCC is, but two-port PCI serial cards range in
> price from $16 to $21 at MSY.

Hi James,

The Baycom USCC>4 card consists of a mothercard with a couple of SCC
chips and up to four daughter card modems. I have modems for ...
1 x 9k6, 1 x 0k3 and 2 x 1k2 radio ports. I have the original ISA
version of the mothercard. A PCI version is available from Baycom in
Germany but with the cost of the card, and the exchange rate being what
it is, I won't be spending that sort of money on the bbs! Best part of
$500 to get the card to my place.

I have a two-port PCI serial card but Linux is a bit funny with it. One
port will work fine but not the second. The second keeps going to sleep.
I tried to use it in conjunction with the onboard serial ports to
provide four ports but couldn't achieve success. The kernel is compiled
to allow shared IRQ's and an adequate number of comports, and setserial
configures the ports ok. I can't swear that the motherboard didn't
contribute to my woes.

I eventually gave up on it and turned my attention back to the four-port
ISA card with a single IRQ. I managed to get it to work just fine with
four TNC's.

I currently run six radio ports, three on the Baycom and three TNC's.
Two ports are for APRS and the rest for the BBS.

Ray vk2tv