[OZAPRS] ebay HT

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Sun Jan 4 23:14:28 EST 2009

Thanks David

Do they power up to a power failure ?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Ingram
  To: Australian APRS Users
  Cc: vk4tec at tech-software.net
  Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 7:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] ebay HT

  Andrew Rich wrote:
  > Anyone had success with these cheap handhelds on ebay for APRS ?
  >
  > Andrew
  > ______________________________
  I've used a couple as 70cm rigs and the 'higher band'. I used the Puxing
  PX-777 VHF as the transmitter in my 'track in the box' APRS system.  Any
  activity for VK4TDI-9 in the last year has been from the PX-777.
      http://ingramtech.com/?p=13

   It is cheap (around US$70 inc. shipping) from Hong Kong. I've used
  409shop.com and found them reasonable to deal with, including one prompt
  replacement of a radio that had a stuffed spk/mic socket. They have the
  R-SMA adapters and lots of other goodies too.

  I have gone with the PX-777 for a few reasons. Firstly the build quality
  is better than some of the other chinese handhelds. The rotary encoder
  actually works and so do the keys. Secondly it uses the standard Kenwood
  connector for the mic, so I bought a Kenwood lead from Argent Data when
  I got my Opentracker 1+. Alternatively, a Kenwood adapter cable for a
  full headset is not to expensive from Mr Chan at 409shop.

  A 12V eliminator is available for the PX-777, but the battery supplied
  lasts quite a long time. Standby (turned off) time is much longer if the
  battery is removed.

  David.
  --

  David Ingram (VK4TDI)
  To avoid spam trap, send email to dave at ingramtech dot com