[OZAPRS] Alice Springs & VK8 APRS

Joseph Burford joseph at burford.me
Thu Dec 10 22:51:54 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM, David and Justine Olsen
<davejust at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> No need for SPOT. My 40m gate and two others, were enough to spot me
> all over  Central Australia and Cape York. Only parts of the Gulf

The issue here is that neither 30m or 40m are going to be practical
for someone walking/hiking. Not unless we go back to  WW2 style and do
back pack radios :-)

2m handheld at a few watts with a largish whip is probably the best
you are going to want to take when hiking. As others have said a low
power setup like this will probably need to be heard by a good local
digi or temp digi in the support vehicle to be of much use. Obviously
the issue of not having a local iGate is something else to factor in.

Cheers,

Joseph