[OZAPRS] Alice Springs & VK8 APRS

Andrew Gilbett andrew.gilbett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 01:00:54 EST 2009

Hi All,

Next year I shall be walking the Larapinta Trail from Alice Springs to
Mt Sonder in the West MacDonnell Ranges (about 223km). I am interested
to show my progress on the internet to friends and family also of
course fellow amateurs via RF. I am wondering whether there is any
kind of IGate near Alice Springs as the website does not seem to
mention one or if there is someone who may be willing to host one?
Also I am interested in peoples experiences with using HF APRS, I
remember that a particular group had a number of motor bikes using VHF
APRS being gated to HF in a vehicle. There shall be a support vehicle
that we shall visit every couple of days and shall be usually within
50km of the walking group.
I have some ideas about how I shall go about this which I shall share
soon as its a little late right now...
I am currently working out the feasibility of this, so comments and
ideas are welcome.

Thanks :-)
Andrew Gilbett
andrew.gilbett at gmail.com