[OZAPRS] VK3BDG-7 flight Great !!

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 17 23:37:14 EST 2009

Well this guys been a busy pilot.. Ive been examining his paths and track
which is quite amazing.
Looks like he left from down near Sale and has been up to Lake Eyre North
(the south end) and has now turned around. Michael 5MW has just got a Igate
going at Roxby Downs in this last week, so talk about fortunate. We got
heaps of posits in through there.
Some really amazing posits and propagation on there as well at times. Looks
like hes on his way back now in the SA riverland.

>From what hes beaconing I think hes flying one of these Jabiru 2 seaters
http://www.jabirupacific.com/specs/j230.htm
He must love flying as it does not appear to fly fast or high. Must be a
real adventure this one.
His corner pegging works as you can see his navigational loops at times for
approaches etc.

The posits that got my attention are a few on the approach north of Renmark
where he was hitting VK3ECV-1 pretty consistantly before closing on the
Renmark/Berri system.
Also after Broken hill there where 4 posits just NW of Broken hill that went
through 5REP-1 at Cowell and down to Pt Lincoln about 550km total using 3
digs to get to an Igate. The first digi being about 400km away.
Another freaky posit north of Yunta today via 5REP at Cowell again then down
to Adelaide and into the Igate here.
I wonder if some of this is Ducting or comercial Aircraft enhancment from
above him as the posits come out of the blue for short periods and then
stop. These posits could be on the track for the Sydney to Perth comercial
routes.

A few similar posits around Yunta down to the Barossa 5BRC-1 before he hands
over to the Riverland 5RLD-1.
The tracking south of Broken hill into 2SRN almost joins up with 3ECV-1 well
north of Pooncarie .

Its pretty interesting stuff. I dont know if this link will work without you
being logged in to aprs.fi but try this and mess about with the zoom and
pan. Click on the position tracks and you will see the path and position
info for each posit.
http://aprs.fi/?call=VK3BDG-7&mt=m&z=6&timerange=259200
The map also shows the various digis involved in the trip at a glance.

I wonder where hes going tomorrow ?
PS if he wants to try this again we have some digis possibly going in at Mt
Arden near Pt Augusta/Quorn and also Near Pt Pirie which will fill up some
gaps on this flight path.. This is in the near future we hope.

Tony  Hunt VK5AH