[OZAPRS] New to both Linux andXastir. Havingtrouble gettingthemaps into the maps dir

Shaun Pitcher spitcher at energy.com.au
Mon Apr 13 13:10:27 EST 2009

Thanks Ray,

The geo files are in the directory shaunmaps, but do not appear in the
dialogue box.

I did as per below and still no luck.

Yes it was installed from a package.

Think I will do a complete restart (very windows I know)

Regards,
Shaun Pitcher

Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au>
Sent by: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au
13/04/2009 12:39 PM
Please respond to
Australian APRS Users  <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>

Australian APRS Users <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [OZAPRS] New to both Linux  andXastir.      Havingtrouble
gettingthemaps into the maps dir

Shaun,

The .inf files are specific to UIView, xastir uses the .geo files.

In /Maps/Map Chooser, are the maps listed, each with a .geo extension?

If yes, check your zoom level

Based on the directory structure of usr/share/xastir/maps/ShaunMaps/ I'm
assuming you installed xastir from a package, in which case I'd expect
you should have everything you need for jpg maps to display.

You might want to check directory permissions if you're starting xastir
as a normal user. This from README.MAPS ..

Getting Maps and other Data Files for Xastir:

      NOTE:  Set map FILES to permissions 644 ("rw-r--r--"), map
      DIRECTORIES to 755 ("rwxr-xr-x") using the "chmod" command.
      These permissions will allow anyone on the box to read the map
      files, and access the map directories. Type these
      commands exactly as shown in order to set the map directory's
      permissions properly.  Do this as the root user:

      cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
      find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
      find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

      You can repeat these commands at anytime, to fix up errant map
      permissions that are created by downloading/installing new
      maps.

      Currently the maps/GPS directory needs to be writable by normal
users
      in order to support downloading GPS data using GPSMan.  This will be
      changed at some future date, moving this directory into the user's
      home directory instead.

      cd /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
      chmod 777 GPS
      find GPS -type d -exec chmod 777 {} \;
      find GPS -type f -exec chmod 777 {} \;

Fairly obviously you would cd /usr/share/ instead of /usr/local/share,
which is the location used if you compile xastir.

Ray vk2tv

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.