[OZAPRS] UI-View32 position reports "unsupported packet format"

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Sat Apr 11 14:33:50 EST 2009

Hi all, and thanks for your replies.

On 11/04/2009, at 12:41 AM, Ron Perry wrote:

> Just how far South of the Equator, and how far East of the Greenwich
> do
> you live?

This sounds like a trick question. :-) I checked my co-ordinates,
double and triple, and they are correct: 33 deg, 41.07 min South, 151
degrees, 6.01 min East. Are you referring to the lack of a decimal
point after the degrees in the beacon? That is as per the APRS spec,
and in any case not something I have control over - UI-View does the
formatting of the coordinates.

On 11/04/2009, at 5:37 AM, Phillip wrote:

>                        In your Ui-View manual you will see that the to
> destination field must be an APRS spec field and GPSMV is not
> APRS is what is required  Look under Staion setup in Ui-V 32 or UI-
> View
> destination in the 16 bit version.
>
> EG VK2SKY>GPSMV      not supported
>
>        V2SKY>APRS           correct
>
> In unproto path you should have some thing like :
>
> APRS, VK2RAG-1*,WIDE2-1    Not
>
> GPSMV,VK2RAG-1*,WIDE2-1

UI-View doesn't actually *require* the path to start with "APRS", and
the "UIView32 Destination Address" help page says you can substitute
another address. "APRS" is the default, and UI-View substitutes "APU2"
followed by an indication of the program version. In any case,
changing it back to "APRS" was one of the first things I tried.

On 11/04/2009, at 7:46 AM, Mike wrote:

> This is the link for UI-View configuration from the VK2 APRS site,
> hopefully it will fix your problem if followed.
>
> http://vk2.aprs.net.au/uiview.php
>
> The other comment is regarding the path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 from a
> home station if your consistently being heard by a high WIDE digi
> e.g VK2RAG. The suggested path being WIDE2-2.
>
> http://vk2.aprs.net.au/userguide.php

Thanks for those links, Mike. For some reason when I looked for those
pages my brain refused to recognise them. :-)

I've updated my settings to follow the recommendations there. The only
noticeable thing is that the user guide suggests using compressed
bulletins, which of course will change the format of the message. Just
tested that and the compressed beacon is also "unsupported".

On 11/04/2009, at 9:30 AM, Warren VK3BYD wrote:

> I have played with my path settings to match yours, however I cannot
> make it
> fail :(
>
> The only thing I noticed that was different between yours and mine
> was the
> space before the "equals" sign
>
> VK2SKY>GPSMV,VK2RAG-1,VK2RTZ-1,WIDE2*,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/
> 15106.01E-Email: vk2sky at wia.org.au {UIV32N} [Unsupported packet
> format]
>
> Is it possible for you to force your beacon via a different Igate?

I think that Warren wins the cigar! Looking at the UI-View Monitor, my
posit beacon "looks" ok as it goes to the TNC, but when the packet is
repeated by VK2US-1 or VK2RAG-1, it has an extra "no-printable"
character (05 hex) just before the equals sign. It's unlikely that
both digis would have the same defect (unless they had both installed
the same defective version of software), and in any case people other
than me would have noticed too.

I tried replacing the ancient laptop with a newer PC running UI-View,
identically configured, and lo and behold I'm back on the map! So,
something at my end is probably inserting the 05 hex character, but
what that is will be the subject of another (private) investigation.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

73 Richard VK2SKY