[OZAPRS] UI-View32 position reports "unsupported packet format"

Richard Murnane richard.murnane at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 10 21:46:35 EST 2009

Hi all,

Looking at the Google APRS website (aprs.fi), I noticed that my home
was not being shown on the map. Actually, it hasn't been shown since
November last year. Looking at the raw packets page, I saw that my
position reports are apparently in an "unsupported packet format".

As you can see below, the initial UI-View beacon is recognised, but
not the position report that follows:

  2009-04-10 20:15:04 EST:
VK2SKY>GPSMV,VK2RAG-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2ZEN-5:>100742zUI-View32 V2.03
  2009-04-10 20:15:08 EST:
VK2SKY>GPSMV,VK2RAG-1,VK2RTZ-1,WIDE2*,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/
15106.01E-Email: vk2sky at wia.org.au {UIV32N} [Unsupported packet format]

Now, the only change I can recall making in recent months is changing
my UI path from APRS,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 to GPSMV,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1. So,
that was the first thing I changed back, and UI-View replaces it with
its software "ID", as before. I also disabled the UI-View tag
({UIV32N}), but still no luck:

  2009-04-10 20:17:27 EST:
VK2SKY>APU25N,VK2RAG-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/15106.01E-
Email: vk2sky at wia.org.au [Unsupported packet format]

Next, I dug out the APRS spec (v 1.0) and checked whether anything in
the comment field might be getting interpreted as a badly-formed
telemetry or other data, so I removed any special characters from the
comment field:

2009-04-10 20:58:03 EST:
VK2SKY>GPSMV,VK2RAG-1,VK2RGL-1,WIDE2*,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/
15106.01E-Email vk2sky at wia.org.au {UIV32N} [Unsupported packet
format]

No luck there either, so I removed the comment text altogether:

  2009-04-10 21:00:49 EST:
VK2SKY>GPSMV,VK2RAG-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/15106.01E-
[Unsupported packet format]
  2009-04-10 21:12:00 EST:
VK2SKY>APU25N,VK2RTZ-1,VK2RGL-1,WIDE2*,qAR,VK2ZEN-5: =3341.07S/
15106.01E- [Unsupported packet format]

Alas, no joy, with either variant of the UI path.

So, the path is OK (otherwise the software ID beacons would be
rejected too), and the comment field (being empty) is not the problem.

As far as I know, nothing in the APRS 1.1 spec comes into play here,
and my home station doesn't appear on other aprs sites, so it's not a
problem at aprs.fi.

All that's left is the co-ordinate information, and UI-View controls
how that is formatted.

Does anyone with a fresh set of eyes see what's going wrong?

Thanks & 73 Richard VK2SKY