[OZAPRS] Hi Res map of Australia for UI-View

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Apr 10 08:38:31 EST 2009

Colin,

Geoscience Australia (www.ga.gov.au) have their entire 1:250000 series
topographic maps available online at no cost. They are high resolution,
digital versions of their paper series maps.

You do have to register with GA to be able to download the maps, and
each time you get maps you need to tick a few boxes regarding your use
of the maps. They are in ecw format, which Irfanview can convert to jpg.
The size of each map varies from about 3MB up to about 8MB, depending on
the area covered by a particular map. When converted to jpg the maps
increase up to around 20MB each. I've split all of mine in Photoshop
into (mostly) 0.5° x 0.5° segments for faster loading. Mmm, just
thinking back to UIView and how it handles maps, and even the split maps
may display too small to be useful. I use xastir now and it enables
zooming in on a map which produces excellent topographic detail that's
even hard to see on paper maps.

The other "inconvenience" is you need to know map names to be able to
"find" them.

I have the east coast from Brisbane to Melbourne, and out to about
Canberra. That requires 22 maps, which have become 138 map segments
(most maps become 6 segments but some special, or extended maps require
9. Sydney and Bairnsdale are examples). In jpg format thats 500MB of maps.

Colin, If you want I'll send you a segment for where you live, with its
inf file, and you can see how it looks. If the list will accept a 3MB
file I'll post that information here for general assessment.

If Geoff wants to host what I have on Ozaprs, or elsewhere, I'll send
him a disc with the segmented maps and both inf and geo files. I'd host
them here for ftp download but my outgoing is only 128kbs (for now). I
can still host them but he upload would be slow (insert the correct
number of o's in sloooow).

Ray vk2tv