[OZAPRS] Floppy disks !!!

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 6 19:35:32 EST 2009

I know its off the topic here but I know many of us run older legacy
machines from time to time and I thought you may find this interesting.

Just tried to go and buy some floppy disks today. What a joke. You cant get
them any more. Yep I am serious. The larger stationary stores and super
markets just laugh at you if you want those things. They asked me if my
machine had a USB port and wondered why on earth I wasnt using that with a
USB stick.. Well I am but I still have lots of floppies and even a external
USB floppy drive.

I did find some new 1.44 floppies in the end at the local post office. The
branding is a bit odd and unknown but thats about all you can get.
Interestingly the post office have no intention of restocking once the
current stocks are gone..

It looks like 1.44 Floppies are nearly history. So if they mean anything to
you you better track some stocks down. It does not seem like that long ago
we booted off these floppies. Come to think of it I still do sometimes. They
are real handy boot devices , Ive got a few different versions and configs.

The supermarkets etc have all sorts and sizes in DVDs and CDs. I guess next
thing will be that you cant get blank CD-Rs ..  Somebody must still be
making 1.44 Floppies...

Heck Ive still got some 5.25 inch double sided floppies somewhere and an old
8 inch that has a 150k capacity.. I wont even ask for some of those in a
shop.

Tony Hunt  VK5AH