[OZAPRS] APRS Advice

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Apr 6 13:33:08 EST 2009

On 06/04/2009, at 1:04 PM, Ray Wells wrote:

> I like the "neat" installaton of that gear, it makes me feel so much
> better about mine ;-)
*grin* yeah those were the days - we had eight racks of rack-mountable
gear, then a few sets of shelves for stuff that couldn't be rack-
mounted.. :)

These days everything's rackmounted - all 1ru gear for work, and the
older 4ru atx cases at home - http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs009.snc1/2627_66743427762_506862762_1643021_7314785_n.jpg

> vk2tv at tvbbs: ~vk2tv at tvbbs:~$ uptime
> 12:55:46 up 23 days,  4:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
>
> I once managed 60 days but Country Energy said enough is enough and
> dumped supply for maintenance purposes.

Yeah I can't say I've managed more than about 100 days at home - our
suburb is apparently insanely over-populated power-wise (so the sparky
that came to replace our aircon last year told me, anyhow), and
there's always a supply transformer popping somewhere in the chain..
(which always has me wondering, when we're a whopping 15km from two
power stations...).  I don't know if the fellow's explanation is
right, but we have a 3kva UPS in every room of the house - brownouts
and surges are a daily occurance..  We're currently on our second
aircon since we shifted into this place 6 months ago - if we weren't
renting, I'd have a UPS on the aircon as well!  I'm waiting for
bestbuy to get one of their 6kw electric-start diesel gensets back in
stock, because the 5-6 hour power outages just on dinner time are
getting really annoying - especially since I traded the diesel hilux
in on a commodore - it doesn't like idling for hours to run an
invertor quite like the hilux did ;)

Weird thing is that our last place, 10km south never had so much as a
brownout in 2 years!

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr