[OZAPRS] Re: Gating HF

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 2 13:28:29 EST 2009

Robert,

I think the Server and Port questions are covered.

Software and setups.

I am using a old laptop with Win98SE still as a APRS machine. I dont run the
Igate here in Adelaide normallly. On HF I have a PK232 usually but have a
MFJ1278 as well as sound card software (MixW) that Ive messed with.

For both SATGATE and HF GATE I use Uiview with AGW and Digi_Ned for windows.
Most of the time I use BPQ32 instead of AGW but for simplicity lets call it
AGW for now.
Uiview does not Do a cross port digipeat to VHF to get the traffic to the
Igate locally.
I use Digi_Ned to achieve this. A different config for Sat/HF which is
changable in about 60 seconds.
AGWuiDigi is another package that can do a Cross Port digipeat and is
configurable and can be logged onto the internet feed as a Igate but when I
tried it recently even on XP it had issues and was not really stable. Its a
pity. I wish he would fix it.

The laptop only has 1 RS232 serial port so I use a TNC-X on a USB port for
2m which seems to go well. This leaves the RS232 port available for the
HF/Sat TNC or PTT for the sound card.

I have also in the past used a sound card inteface on HF and a Virtual
serial port to feed it back into AGW as a KISS TNC and then used Digi_Ned to
cross port it.
The web site for Digi_Ned is here http://home.hetnet.nl/~pe1dnn/#DIGI_NED

You can probably tell I like Digi_Ned. Its light weight and very
configurable.

Tony Hunt VK5AH