[OZAPRS] Internet servers

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Thu Apr 2 12:49:49 EST 2009

Its certainly true that the servers list in Uiview is out of date. A few
other client programes are not much better either. Maybee some info on the
VK APRS web page specific to our prefered servers in Aust/NZ  would help.

I use one of either of these
rotate.aprs.net.au:
first.aprs.net.au
second.aprs.net.au
third.aprs.net.au

Third seems to be in ZL Aukland at the moment

First and Second are in VK from memory

Rotate is a great system which will help traffic balance if we all used it a
bit more. It will find a server out of the group which is 1 Running , 2 not
too busy .. I would recomend this as an option for Full Time Igates which
are unattended or have few or no options for redundant feeds if they loose
the feed. Most decent Igates will attempt a reconnect to the server if its
lost. If you reconnect to rotate because one of the servers
(first,second,third) just went down in a heap then it will put you back onto
one of the other available severs
 nice and neatly. You just dont allways know exactly whcih server you landed
on without doing some looking.

Then theres the Port numbers to use with the servers.
See http://australia.aprs2.net:14501/    available Ports Box

A simple Port 14579 gives you a complete VK/ZL feed without having to worry
about making your own filters.

Little known presently is the PORTs 10141-10149 from memory.
These are State Based VK1-VK9 preset filters so that 10145 is a VK5 centric
feed.
I dont think these work on all the Servers as yet though.

You can customise your login with a Filter using Port 14580
See here for Filter Options "User defined Filter Port"
http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSSrvr/javaprsfilter.htm

Maybee Geoff has some further comments on this stuff

Tony Hunt  VK5AH