[OZAPRS] VHF and HF APRS

vk5ex.andrew vk5ex.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:00:45 EST 2008

Hi Ian,

congrats on the license.

I would suggest leaving the VHF tracker at home !! .. Sounds to me like you
will be spending most of your traveling time away from major centers anyway,
therefore minimizing the time useful VHF tracking will occur. I use HF aprs
very successfully when traveling both out bush as well as metro areas. In
fact, in a lot of instances HF arprs is more reliable than metro VHF aprs
anyway. Now that we have an excellent network of HF gateways in Australia,
pretty well every inch of Australia at any time of day can almost guarantee
good HF tracking back to the APRS-IS. Use -15 as your SSID and run a beacon
rate of 10 minutes or so , and all should be ok. BTW I use a IC706Mk2G in
the 4wd with a bionics tinytrack 3. I have set the TT3 up with a dual
configuration , one of which is set for HF aprs and the other config is set
for VHF operation. So if I really feel the need I can just switch frequency
from 30m HF aprs to VHF aprs on the radio and flick to the second VHF config
on the TT3.

Regards .. Andrew VK5EX