[OZAPRS] Message Traffic and WX Alerts in Xastir

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Nov 27 13:29:51 EST 2008

Geoff, David and other equally confused onlookers,

Geoff wrote:
> I don't believe so....
>
> Here's a sample of zone messages from the US WXSVR....
>
> ABQWSW>APRS::NWS_ADVIS:262230z,WINTER_WEATHER,NMZ2-4 {QC5AB
> AJKNPW>APRS::NWS_ADVIS:270800z,WIND,AKZ26 {QKiBB
> BMXRFW>APRS::NWS_WARN :262230z,RED_FLAG_WARN,ALZ45-46-48>50 {QLKAB
> CARFFA>APRS::NWS_WATCH:262300z,FLOOD,MEZ10-11-15>17-29>32 {QFsAA
>
> The messages transmitted by the server are all in the format of
> <STATE><Z/C><Zonelist>
>
> A sample of our messages from WXSVR-AU shows the identical format
>
> SYDSWW>APRS::NWS_ADVIS:270000z,WIND,NSZ531 {QHHAA
> SEHSWW>APRS::NWS_ADVIS:270000z,WIND,TAZ504>505 {QHkAA
>
> I think Xastir is re-formatting the zone payload for display purposes -
> separate the state from the Z/C and numerical portion.  (It will be doing
> this for the warnings that work as well)

 From my z_aus20no08.dbawk file which is essentially a copy of the
example dbawk.

# BEGIN is called once per dbf file which contains multiple records.
BEGIN {
# dbfinfo is the "signature" of the dbf file listing the column names in
order.
# dbfinfo should match the dbf file that we say this dbfawk file goes with.
dbfinfo="STATE:ZONE:CWA:NAME:STATE_ZONE:TIME_ZONE:FE_AREA:LON:LAT:SHORTNAME";
# dbffields is which of the above fields we actually want to look at.
# Note that the order we list these is important since we are appending the
# word County or Parish depending on what state the county is in.
dbffields="STATE_ZONE:NAME";
}

# BEGIN_RECORD is called once per dbf record which contains multiple fields.
# Use this rule to re-initialize variables between records.
BEGIN_RECORD {key="BOGUS"; lanes=2; fill_color=7; color=8; name="";
filled=0; fill_style=0; pattern=0; display_level=65536; label_level=512;
label_color=20; font_size=2; symbol=""}

/^STATE_ZONE=(..)(.*)$/ {key="$1_Z$2"; next}
/^NAME=(.*)$/ {name="$1"; next}

Now, looking at z_aus20no08.dbf in qgis we see this, as an example,
STATE  NS, ZONE  015  STATE_ZONE  NS015
Note the  latter is not NSZ015

Does the line, above, /^STATE_ZONE=(..)(.*)$1/ (key="$1_Z$2";
next}attempt to create NS_Z015? Is the dbawk file looking for, or trying
to create, wrong parameters?

Just another of many thoughts.

> I'm trying to research that mystery field in the alert log a bit more, but I
> have a funny feeling that the first character relates to the COLOUR of the
> alert area - on the working example you gave before it was YN and a YELLOW
> area was drawn...  On the two 'broken' examples this field was ?N and ?Y.
> I'm thinking perhaps there is no colour defined for ADVIS messages in your
> setup?
>
> Xastir uses the following colours:
> ADVIS = Cyan     (Yellow in UIView)
> WATCH = Yellow   (Orange in UIView)
> WARN  = Red      (Red in UIView)
> CANCL = Orange   (Clears shape in UIView)
> TEST  = Blue     (Not supported in UIView)
> OTHER = Green    (Purple in UIView)
>
> Still looking but it may be a clue ??
>
> Geoff

Ray vk2tv