[OZAPRS] RE: Ozaprs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 20

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri May 23 13:11:16 EST 2008

It is called 'Energy per bit' or 'Eb/n0'.

Basically, the performance of a radio system for a given bit error rate is
proportional to the Energy per Bit. Therefore if you are transmitting 1200W
at 1200 bps, you are transmitting 1W per bit. If you go to 9600, you are
transmitting 0.125W per bit.

The reliability of transmission depends on the amount of energy per bit. The
more energy you transmit per bit, the more reliable it is.

Think about it this way - how much more reliable is 5 WPM Morse over 25 WPM
Morse. Same idea

Darryl

P.S. My calculations were wrong earlier. 24W Vs. 8W was wrong. It should
have been 24W Vs. 3W