[OZAPRS] 70cm APRS

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri May 23 09:26:29 EST 2008

I think a 9600 bps UHF APRS frequency is not a great idea.

The reason is that each APRS transmission at 1200 bps takes about 1 second.
Most of this is the TxDelay. The TxDelay on UHF is commonly the same, so you
might go from 1000 mSec to 600 mSec. This is not much of an improvement.

But since you are transmitting at 8 times the speed, and so this is the
equivalent of only transmitting 1/8th the power. Your 9600 bps 24 Watt radio
becomes a 8 Watt 1200 bps radio.

Darryl