[OZAPRS] linux

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu May 8 10:42:41 EST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 09:23, Ben Lindner wrote:
> OK here is a BIG question.
>

> If someone such as myself wanted to put Linux on a computer, which one
> would be best suited for ham radio applications and other desktop
> functions. It would also be an advantage to have Windows on the same hard
> drive.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Hi,

It's not such a big question.  Most distributions (distros) these days
come packaged with everything you need for most purposes (including ham
radio).  The best distro to use is the one that your friend uses.  That
way, if you get into trouble you can ask them for help (no, really).

The distro I chose last time I was looking around was Mepis
<http://www.mepis.org/>, but another popular one at the moment is Ubuntu
(or Kubuntu if you prefer KDE to Gnome, which I do).

You can try Linux out by using a "Live CD".  Most distributions (including
Mepis and Ubuntu) will allow you to boot the CD and run Linux without
affecting your hard drive.  This means you can play around and see what's
there (a bit slow as the CD is slower than the hard drive).  If you like
it, press a button and it wipes the hard drive and installs itself.

Here are a couple of links to Ham Radio Live CDs:

http://hamspot.com/ham/Ham_Radio_LiveCD

http://www.linux.com/articles/114288

If you want Windows to be available too you will have to set up 'dual
booting'.  It's not too hard, but describing it would make this email too
long.  Look up "dual-boot Linux" on Google for plenty of detailed
instructions.  Again, if you have a friend that's done this then do the
same.

I am sure many others can offer help and advice, but if you have any other
questions I can help with, please ask.

73,

Andrew
ZL3AME