[OZAPRS] linux

Rodney Mitchell rodney at melecom.com.au
Thu May 8 11:22:36 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 10:31 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 09:53:40AM +0930, Ben Lindner wrote:
> > OK here is a BIG question.
> >
> > If someone such as myself wanted to put Linux on a computer, which one
> > would be best suited for ham radio applications and other desktop
> > functions. It would also be an advantage to have Windows on the same
> > hard drive.
>
> Debian or Ubuntu. The latter is perhaps a little bit more polished for
> desktop use, while the former has more hams among its developers.
>
> I maintain several of the ham radio packages for Debian, and many of
> them are used in Ubuntu also. (Ubuntu sources many packages from
> Debian.)
>

> Hamish
> --
> Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish at debian.org> <hamish at cloud.net.au>

Heyas...

Big fan of FEDORA here. I've recently heard some LINUX gurus complaining
about how 'rigid' UBUNTU is and they have switched to GENTOO!?

Check out this link for the FEDORA fans:

http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/pkgs/hams/

Enjoy, regards (73) de Rod, VK5KFB

PS: It is a steep curve and it will take 1-2 years to get a serious
handle on *UNIX from scratch...but once you've taken that road you'll
never look back, *UNIX has made computing fun again...Windoze will
eventually become a distant memory and a chore if you HAVE to use
it...  ;)

Rodney Mitchell
Senior Technical Officer

Melecom
73 Fiveash Drive
Pasadena
South Australia     5042

www.melecom.com.au

VK5KFB

believed to be clean.
Supported by melecom with a Fedora server.